Scholarships total $305,000, the most ever given in a single year by the Foundation.
DALLAS, Tex. (June 22, 2018) – The Northern Texas PGA Junior Golf Foundation is pleased to continue its charitable commitment to educational services by announcing its 2018 scholarship recipients. Forty-three (43) recipients have earned scholarships totaling $305,000, the most ever given in a single year by the Foundation.
This year, of the scholarships awarded, 69% were based on financial need, academic performance, extracurricular activities and community involvement, while 31% were awarded based on academic performance, extracurricular activities and community involvement.
NTPGA Junior Golf Foundation Scholarship Recipients
The Northern Texas PGA Junior Golf Foundation is pleased to announce its 2018 scholarship recipients.
- Jordan Spieth Family Foundation Scholarship – Omar Arriaga
- Royal Oaks Country Club / Nicholas Stafford Scholarship – Anthony Basta
- AT&T Byron Nelson Scholarship – Lauren Blackburn
- NTPGA Scholarship, Supported by AT&T – Herlin Bonilla
- Tony Martinez / Dallas District Golf Association Scholarship – Malak Bourdaeda
- Ewing Automotive College Scholarship – Sadie Bow
- Birdies for Kids Scholarship – Abbey Bryan
- Jerry J. Ransom Scholarship – Megan Dale
- Cameron McCormick Golf Scholarship – Ranger Donnell
- Ben Hogan Foundation / Mark and Katie Kalpakis Scholarship – Cullen Embry
- Ben Hogan Foundation / Jeff and Suzanne Mooney Scholarship – Austin Escamilla
- Tanos Exploration II / Patterson-UTI Drilling Texas State Open Scholarship – Emma French
- NTPGA Scholarship, Supported by AT&T – David Garcia
- Randy Smith Scholarship – Justin Gatling
- Jerry J. Ransom Scholarship – Brooks Glanton
- Jordan Spieth Family Foundation Scholarship – Jalen Gonzales
- Holly & Doug Brooks Family Foundation Scholarship – Connor Howard
- The Veritex Bank Scholarship – Karli Livingston
- Jordan Spieth Family Foundation Scholarship – Naila Lopez
- McMillan Golf Academy Scholarship – Finn Maguire
- Ewing Automotive College Scholarship – Zoe Mayfield
- NTPGA Scholarship, Supported by AT&T – Maria Medina
- Briggs Berry Heart of a Lion Scholarship – Mateo Mejia
- I AM Scholarship – Sandra Moreno
- Ben Hogan Foundation / Robert Stennett Scholarship – Brendan O’Connell
- NTPGA Scholarship, Supported by AT&T – Maria Ortiz
- West Texas Legends Scholarship honoring S.A. Smith, Hart Warren, Jay McClure and Sherwin Cox – Nolan Otto
- Holly & Doug Brooks Family Foundation Scholarship – Matt Prieskorn
- Holly & Doug Brooks Family Foundation Scholarship – Gabrielle Rosas
- Holly & Doug Brooks Family Foundation Scholarship – Sara Schuster
- Cameron McCormick Golf Scholarship – Lauren Wallace
- *Mac Spikes PGA Member Scholarship – Victoria Williams
- I AM Scholarship – Hillmon Woods
- Cameron McCormick Golf Scholarship – Phoebe Yuan
- Jerry J. Ransom Scholarship – Emily Zhou
- S.A. Smith West Texas Invitational / Frost Bank Scholarship – To be announced
*Denotes – Annually awarded to a child or grandchild of a Northern Texas PGA Member
The Deloitte Fairway to Success After School Program completed its eleventh year of outreach at three DISD high schools – W.W. Samuell, Thomas Jefferson and Lincoln. These schools were selected by DISD for their level of need, lack of outside resources and commitment of staff leadership to this project. Fairway to Success is a collaborative effort between Deloitte, Northern Texas PGA and United Way of Metropolitan Dallas, which provides scholarships to at-risk students who are learning to play golf.
Fairway to Success is helping to impact and change the lives of children in our community. The five-week, after school program had 155 DISD high school students learning the basics of golf from PGA professionals over the course of the academic year. Students also went on a field trip to Keeton Park Golf Course and graduating seniors were given the opportunity to apply for a $20,000 college scholarship. New to the 2018 Fairway to Success scholarship program, the NTPGA partnered up with the University of North Texas at Dallas to provide one student with a full, four-year scholarship to UNT Dallas.
Deloitte, the Northern Texas PGA and United Way are proud to announce the 2018 scholarship recipients:
- Daniel Akwei – Thomas Jefferson High School
- Ashley Crispin – W.W. Samuell High School
- Elia Espinosa – Thomas Jefferson High School
- Juwon Grant – Lincoln High School
- Francheska Johnson – Lincoln High School
- Sonya Soto – Thomas Jefferson High School
The University of North Texas at Dallas and the Northern Texas PGA are proud to announce the first ever UNT-Dallas/NTPGA Fairway to Success Scholarship recipient.
- Tyra Shockley – W.W. Samuell High School
Established in 2007, the Fairway to Success Program has annually awarded scholarships to deserving students based on academic performance, extracurricular activities, community involvement and financial need. Since its inception, the program has awarded $1,000,000 to 51 deserving students in our community. Funding is entirely through the individual contributions of Deloitte personnel in North Texas. One hundred percent of the contributions made are designated to fund scholarships.
About the Northern Texas PGA Junior Golf Foundation
The Northern Texas PGA Junior Golf Foundation is committed to introducing, promoting and growing the game of golf to a diverse group of kids in North Texas and instilling in them the positive, character-developing traits for which the game is so well known. Each year close to 10,000 children and their families are impacted by the game that lasts a lifetime through a full circle of programs and services including:
Introduction – Fairway to Success After School Program, Drive, Chip and Putt and Summer Golf Camps
Playing – Team and PGA Junior League Golf, Prep and Medalist Levels and All American Tour – 450+ tournaments per year
Education – College Scholarships – $2.36M distributed including $305,000 awarded in 2018
Employment – Internship Program, Fairway to Success After School Program and Summer Golf Camps
Philanthropy – Ewing Charity Classic, Birdies for Kids, the Jerry J. Ransom Pro-Junior-Am and the Royal Oaks’ Great 108
For more information about the Northern Texas PGA Junior Golf Foundation Scholarship Program or for additional information about the 2018 recipients, please contact Alyssa Richardson at firstname.lastname@example.org or (214) 420-7421.